I realize it may seem to readers that I am a Republican. I am not. I don't have a convenient label for my political views. I believe in freedom. I want the government out of economics and out of religion. I think markets should be as government-free as possible. I am pro-choice. I am pro-choice not because I am not the decider. God, or the Universe, or the Life Force, or whatever you want to call it is the decider. I have no business telling someone else what to do with their own body. I also have no business deciding whether life begins at conception. The Republican platform is strictly pro-life. That is fine, I can see how reasonable people could disagree about when life begins. If you truly believe in your heart of hearts that life begins at conception, then abortion is murder, and you must use the power of the government to stop it. Or must you? Remember that movie with Tom Cruise where the government puts people in jail before they commit murder? (Forgive me for not remembering the name.) Anyway, I am pro-choice.
I am also in support of gay marriage. Being a very spiritual person (I believe true salvation lies within), but not particularly religious (institutionalized spirituality), I do not understand what the hell people are threatened by when they say, "Marriage is between a man and a woman". What does that mean? Perhaps they could explain it to me. As if being married to someone of the opposite sex guarantees happiness. What if you happen to fall in love with someone of the same sex? Why would anyone want to stop two people who truly love each other from getting married and enjoying the same legal benefits as heterosexual couples? What could there motivation possibly be? I bet most of you didn't know Obama is against gay marriage too. This is how Obama felt about gay marriage in 1994:
Gays should not face discrimination but should not marry
Q: [to Keyes]: You've criticized homosexuality throughout your career. What would you say to your child if he or she were a homosexual?
KEYES: Marriage is based upon heterosexual relations because they are connected to procreation. Where procreation is impossible, marriage is irrelevant. And that is the civic explanation against homosexual marriage. It is irrelevant. And the idea that one should have legislation that is regulating private friendships for no reason is a degrading of those friendships.
OBAMA: Well, to answer the original question, I would love that child and seek to support them. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman but I detest the bashing and vilifying of gays and lesbians. Most gays and lesbians are seeking basic recognition of their rights so they're not discriminated against in employment or renting a house, so they can see their partner in a hospital. These are rights for everybody, not just some people.
Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes Oct 21, 2004
From ontheissues.org
Anyway, for these reasons I can't call myself a Republican. However, I voted for McCain because I believe their are two problems facing this country that are much more pressing than abortion or the gay marriage issue. Our economy is in the midst of a full scale collapse. The US Government must not go bankrupt. Yes, yes, I can hear it already. "George Bush and his policies are responsible for all of our economic problems." No, they are not. It simply isn't true - even if you want it to be because you hate Bush. Our economy is on the verge of collapse because American consumers don't like the word "no". Truth does matter.
The second factor is Islamic extremism. I have simply read to much on this subject to think it is not a problem. It is. We cannot let our guard down. The extremists do not care how "enlightened" you far left liberals think Obama is. They will not decide to back off because he is our president. 9/11 happened BEFORE we invaded Iraq.
If we lose all our money and all our freedom we will only have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. Economics is just too important to every human being in this country to ignore. Obama is just plain wrong when it comes to economics. He believes in splitting up the pie fairly, so everyone will have a piece. Sounds good on the face of it. Sounds great.
But as you lay your head on the pillow tonight before you close your eyes, ask yourself a few questions:
Who made the pie?
Why did they make the pie in the first place?
When the pie is gone, who will make more pies?
Will they want to make any more pie at all?
Goodnight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment