Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Pathetic Three

I know - I know. It is mean to say anything bad about the big three. It is Anti-American. Look, these guys don't deserve to be saved. Neither did the bankers. I actually heard some guy testifying before congress today say that if we let the pathetic three go under, the American consumer will suffer because auto prices will go up. WHAAAAAAT??????? Has this fool ever studied basic economics - and I mean BASIC. I am assuming he means that the supply will drop so severely, that this will cause prices to rise. WRONG! Why the hell does he think the pathetic three aren't selling any cars? Because demand has fallen off of a CLIFF! How do we get back to equilibrium?? By having a dramatic reduction in supply! But with all those unsold vehicles sitting on the lots prices have to come down. By asking to be bailed out the pathetic three are essentially asking the government to keep the prices of their cars artificially high. It is because of this fact, their involvement in shady financing (GMAC finance), and sky high labor costs that the pathetic three are failing. People are broke - they can't buy any more cars! This does not even begin to touch on the fact that they made horrible decisions. They didn't invest enough in fuel efficient cars. They didn't have the balls to take on the unions. Etc., Etc. They didn't follow Toyota's example.



It is easy to be for Capitalism when things are going well. It is not as easy when you are the guy losing your job or going out of business. I love how all the "Capitalistic" bankers on Wall Street ran to the government with their hands out when their models failed. How dare they call themselves Capitalists. How dare they call this system Capitalism.



Real Capitalism has nothing to do with the hybrid government/business model we have seen for the last 25 years.



Let them fail.

No comments: