Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mid-East Conflict

Yesterday I posted a link to a story about religious extremists who marry young girls in Saudi Arabia. I received a comment, which I chose not to post because of its graphic content. (some children read this blog)

The comment did not address the issue I discussed in my last post, but instead was a comment on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

I am not anti-Palestine. I believe they should have their own state. I am deeply saddened by the suffering they are enduring in this conflict. Seeing pictures of their horrific suffering makes me very sad for them and shakes by belief that people are basically good. It makes me sick. Just as much as old men marrying eight year old girls makes me sick.

I wish Israel could have a Gandhi like attitude in this situation. But how can they? They know war is bad. They know killing is wrong. Yet it just keeps going on and on.

I have a question: What should Israel do when Hamas launches rockets in to their territory?

I am serious - what should they do? What can they do? If they took down the blockades around Gaza and became more open and less fearful, what would happen to them? Would the extremists that want them annihilated back off? I am open to the idea that maybe they would, but what about the fact that many Islamic extremists deny their right to exist?

When an animal is cornered and fearful sometimes it bites in order to defend itself from what it percieves to be its potential annihilation.

Actions taken out of fear always produce a painful result.

I do not think either Israel or the Palestinian territories should be wiped off the face of the map. I think they both have a right to exist and live in peace.

I do, however, believe extremist ideology is hurting regular Gazans and undermining the little stability they had.

I can also see how extremeist ideolgy would be attractive to a population living in misery.

This is such a sad and difficult problem. I hope for the sake of the entire world it will end soon.
But this seems like an almost child-like hope. Still, I can say my prayers.

No comments: