Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just In Case You Thought Money Makes People Happy

I like money. I like making it. I don't like losing it. For whatever reason, though, in this lifetime I have not bought into the idea that money brings happiness. If you define happiness as a sort of fleeting excited rush that you get when you buy something new or look at the value an increasing portfolio, then I get that.

However, money does not bring with it the kind lasting happiness and inner peace that can come with emotional healing, maturity and Self-discovery.

Today, just like in the late 1920's, once rich men are killing themselves as they see their paper fortunes turn to dust. What are they thinking? "Gee, three months ago I was WORTH 2 billion and today I have a net worth of a mere 2 million, so I guess I'll call it quits and slit my wrists." What about their families, their friends, the charities they could donate their time to?

Did these men really think their Self worth was determined by a balance sheet? Obviously, they did. I contend that they were actually very poor men: Poor in Self worth, Poor in Spirit, Poor in Love. When their inflated ego's were popped, they didn't have anyone to tell them that they were worth so much more. It's sad. It also makes me very glad to be a regular person who knows what is really important in life: Family, Friends, Love, and Peace. The gains and losses we realize in this world can only be enjoyed and suffered if we realize they are just a game we play while we are here.

Having money brings material comfort and earthly pleasures. Is this good? Hell yeah! If you have it, enjoy it. However, if you lose it, please don't kill yourself!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/07/illinois.realestate.death/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/01/06/germany.billionaire/index.html?iref=newssearch

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/03/eviction.suicide.attempt/index.html?iref=newssearch

http://www.gulfnews.com/BUSINESS/General/10269707.html

No comments: