Monday, January 5, 2009

On a Wing and a Prayer

I am watching a program on PBS called; "On a Wing and a Prayer: An American Muslim Learns to Fly".

I am disturbed on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I really don't care what religion people are. I really don't care what color people are. I really don't care. What I care about is Freedom and people's political philosophy. Why do I care?; because I cherish my freedom and that of my children.

I have a terrible time reconciling Islam with equality. (of the sexes) I just listened to a Muslim American man who is being embraced by America in a post 9/11 environment to such an extent that an entire PBS documentary is being made about him getting his pilot's license. He seems like a nice enough guy. He also says that women, his wife especially, would be frowned upon if they got tried to fly a plane. (He implies this is a good thing, since it is in accord with his religion.)

His wife says women "choose" to cover themselves. She is trying to follow the Koran's edict that women should cover themselves. She says she will support her daughters to "come to the right decision" and be "grounded in Islam" and wear the Hijab. She will support them unless they choose to turn away from God.

Her husband goes on to say he explained to his wife that if she ever came between him and Islam, he would choose Islam, because it made him happier than she did.

I can only come to one conclusion - Islam and freedom (of women & many other kinds) are incompatible.

I am thoroughly disturbed by the extremists in this religion. As I am by the FLDS, The Branch Davidians, etc. etc.

Why can't we just admit that the Islamic world is anti-freedom? Why can't we admit how corrosive the ideology of Islamic extremism is to the foundations of America herself? (Yes, I said "herself" and I meant it.)

You cannot heal until you face the truth. The world needs to face the truth about Islamic extremism before it can heal.

Christianity has been just as extreme at different times throughout history, as have many religions. I truly am not trying to judge, just to call a movement what it is.

Are we really going to let the leftists embrace this movement and empower it in the name of "diveristy" and "religious tolerence"?

Please watch this show - go to PBS.org to find a link.

No comments: