Monday, November 1, 2010

Tolle On The Economic Downturn

I have repeatedly written that I was against the bailouts, against the stimulus, etc, etc. Perhaps saying I was for letting the downturn be as it was, and is, would have been a better way to phrase it.

This is a non-partisan position. I simply believe that economic downturns serve a purpose in the universe (they are learning tools for this world). They are similar to the tides of the ocean. Business cycles exist for a reason, and fighting them by trying to control them only delays and intensifies the final correction.

This is why I am a proponent of freedom and free markets. I still believe the "capitalism" that so many democrats see as unfair to the poor, isn't capitalism at all. When corporations and financial institutions are bailed out at taxpayer cost with the justification that if they weren't, we simply wouldn't be able to handle the consequences is ego talk.

It is arrogance at its worst. Politicians defend their behavior by saying things like, "I would have voted against the bailout, but I just couldn't let that happen. We would have been thrown in to the next Great Depression and the financial system would have collapsed!" I say...BS. Do they see themselves as more powerful than the laws of the Universe?

Main street will not die without Wall Street. Innovation, entreprenueurship, and invention will survive the next Great Depression. Hardship, though painful, is sometimes necessary to push us forward as human beings. Anyway, it is what it is. We are in a painful economic downturn, let's quit pretending we are not, or the fall will be much more painful in the end.

One of my favorite books in Eckart Tolle's "The Power Of Now". I actually found a clip where Tolle is talking about the economy. I couldn't agree with him more. You will have to browse through the videos at the bottom of the clips to find the one called, "The Current Economy".

http://www.eckharttolletv.com/eckharttolle.com

No comments: