Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Am A Geek

I know I already have a link to Mr. Smith's blog on my site, but his latest is about an issue that has been perplexing me for years now. I am beginning to think he is an absolute genius.

http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2009/11/bubbles-inflation-and-overcapacity.html

Perhaps that is why he gets monetary donations to his site and I don't. Perhaps it is because I don't ask for them. Perhaps it is because my particular blend of interests is only really interesting to me and, well, a few very loyal readers. Perhaps they are not really that interested, they just love me enough to read my blog.

But I do know I have always been a bit of a geek at heart. Even if I seemed popular in high school, even if I used to be easy on the eyes, even if I tried to be cool, underneath it all I am just one big math-loving geek.

I like math and economics because it makes sense. You can always rely on it to make sense when nothing else does.

For example, I was trying to teach my son his "sight words" the other night and one of them was "of ". My son has a brain that works like mine (strangely-poor thing) and he said something like, "Shouldn't it be 'o-v'?, they want us to sound it out. I hate reading!"

I immediately thought, "Hell yeah, you are right, we ought to change those stupid rules, or at least admit that phonics leads our youth astray and.... well screw them, you spell it 'o-v'."

However, I did not say that. I said something like, "Just remember for the test that you think they are wrong, but you have to put down "of" if you want to get 100%."

Guess what, my son likes math!.

Thanks loyal readers - I promise this blog will probably never be of the caliber where I can justify asking for monetary donations to it.

But God only knows.

Love To You ALL!

No comments: