Boy have I been a bad blogger lately. I simply have had too little time and too little inspiration.
Not to mention a visit by what the doctor told us was probably H1N1. They are no longer testing for the virus because so many people have it.
My eldest daughter had it and then developed strep this week. Thankfully she is now on the proper anti-biotics and is doing fine.
I know that clinics are telling people not to come in unless they have a fever of 103 degrees or higher. I believe this is rotten advice and you should not follow it.
My daughter's fever never exceeded 100.3. If I had not brought her in, and demanded they do a strep test, she would have only gotten sicker and who knows how sick.
What the media and doctors are not very loud about is that most of the deaths associated with H1N1 are not caused directly from the virus itself, but by bacterial infections that set in later in the course of the illness. If you don't bring your child in, they can not test them for bacterial infection.
Clinic staff do not always know what they are talking about. As a parent, trust your gut, and insist on all of the proper testing and care for your children. Do not be afraid to speak your mind to and ask for what you need of people in the medical profession - they are just people.
So,even though the current advice ou there is: send your kid to school when their nose is running like a faucet and they are coughing up a storm (as long as they haven't had a fever in the last 24 hrs), but don't bring them to the doctor unless their fever is at least 103 for more than 48 hrs - what a load of crap.
Ignore it and do what you think is right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment