Thursday, June 4, 2009

Obama's Historic Speech

I am very surprised. Obama did a fabulous job of telling moderate Muslims that they are our only hope for defeating the extremists.

He was also tough enough. He made a clear distinction between our values (the U.S) and the values of Islamofacists around the globe. He also made it clear that those moderates MUST DO THEIR JOB and save their region and their religion. If they don't, the extremists will win. He made it clear that Muslims must respect America and we will not abandon our views on equality and freedom to any religion.

He stood up for women's rights in the Muslim world.
(Although I still think traditional Muslims women's' garb really sucks and is a symbol of hatred and oppression of women - I also think people should be able to wear whatever they want.)

Wow- It's about time.

Please don't say I am an Obama supporter in general now. I am not. Our ideas about the economy and how he has used his position to increase government power are antithetical to most of what I believe. However, I must call them as I see them, so here are some more things he did right today.

He acknowledged that the U.S. relationship with Israel is "unbreakable".

It's about time.



This was a good speech. This was a great speech. I hope it has the power to stop the rising tide of extremism in the Middle East and the the whole of the Islamic world.

He finally made the distinction between the extremists and the rest of the Muslim world. He also finally acknowledged the horror and immorality of 9/11. He said he would only bring the troops home when he can be sure that there are not violent extremists in Afghanistan that are plotting to kill Americans.

He used the Koran, the Torah, and the Bible to make many points. He used them to show violence is wrong.

This was a great speech - it's about time. I think he finally understands what Bush already did. Apparently, the responsibility of leadership is much more enlightening than the pursuit of the power needed to implement it.

All this said, I am not blind to the contradiction that is Obama. I absolutely disagree with his assessment that American policy set by Bush and Cheney caused an increase in Islamic extremism. He is dead wrong about this. Though I am not a right wing evangelical Christian, I am aware of the many prophecies that say there will be a great leader that will bring the world together at a time of great turmoil. Do I think that is Obama? No. Not necessarily. I don't even think those prophecies are true. It is weird though, isn't it? Interesting.....................



Anyway, one can't deny it was a good speech. Or maybe one can. But I don't.

No comments: