Sunday, February 15, 2009

In a Funk

Hellllooooo-
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I have been a little busy with sick and injured children, my tax preparation job and other stuff of life.

If you are a regular reader I promise I will be back in my groove soon.

If I have any regular readers out there, I would like some advice. See, I have my undergraduate degree in economics. I have an MBA with a concentration in accounting and finance. I have management experience in retail banking. I like to trade stocks. I understand how incentives influence behavior. I can hedge a portfolio. BUT, for the last nine years I have been raising my beautiful children on a full time basis. Any work I have done has been part-time. I was a TA for the Management Accounting department at Carlson. I do taxes. I have volunteer experience. Now that I am faced with the task of finding a full time job within the next six months or so, I am torn.

See, I am pretty good with people, but I am a bit of an analytical geek as well. When I get lost in analytics, I miss people. When I spend too much time with people, I miss analytics. Should I try to find a career where I can use both of these qualities? If so, what would it be? Should I return to retail bank management? I was good at it. The thing is, I can learn just about anything. However, I feel like being well rounded has in some way dulled my focus. WHAT's a woman to do?

I know whatever job I get I will do well if I give it my all. I am conflicted - life is presenting many paths here and I have to decide, once again, which one to take.

I remember in an advanced English class I took in Jr. High I wrote a story called "I am complex". Sounds just like the narcissistic pre-teen I was at the time, but I got an "A". It was well written. By the way, I like to write too. But right now I don't need complexity, I need clarity. Any advice?



HELLLLLPPPPPP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ask your father; he had a good record of solid advice!!