Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tis' The Season

Why can't I get in the Christmas mood? I am feeling, well...... overwhelmed. My children are used to me being home almost all the time. Even if I am not engaged with them, I am almost always around. I started a new job last week and I must say; things are a changing.

I have been saying, "Get your own socks." "It's up to you." "I am not asking you what you want for breakfast again.", and other things like that a lot this week.

Everyone I run into or talk to seems, well, sort of scared. I know I am. This economy is nothing, if not scary. Many in my generation remember the recession of the 1970's and early 80's. I remember my friends parents losing their jobs. We were lucky, my parents didn't lose their jobs. I have this feeling, though, that this time is going to be much worse. Actually, it is not just based on feeling, but also facts. I really want to tell all of you that this will be easy, but it will not. This period is going to test us. We are going to have to work harder, and better, than ever before. I have friends that are also stretched physically, mentally, financially, and emotionally. I really just feel like we have had it really good up until now. I know I have been extremely fortunate in this life and I thank God for that every morning when my feet hit the floor.

Ironically, I feel a sense of relief when I think about the end of Consumerism as we know it. Is it possible I can not have granite counter tops and still be cool in this new era we are entering? Perhaps this is a good thing. Perhaps it is necessary. Why fight it.

I love that part in Forrest Gump when Jenny(his true love) dies and Forrest asks dead Jenny if we are all just floating around random like in the Universe, or if God has a plan for each of us (a Destiny). I love it that he tells her that he thinks it is a little bit of both. Perhaps both are true. It is a little bit of both.

So, control what you can. Let go of what you can't. Know the difference. That is the best we can do.

And remember, Christmas is not about shopping, it is about hope. It is about reaching for the part of our Selves that can save ourselves.

No comments: