Sunday, October 21, 2012

Simple: No

If life was simple, then we all would be.  There is something in our world, our culture, that wants us to be simple, understandable, safe.

The truth is;  we are not any of those things.

At least I know I am not.   I was a Freshman in High School in Advanced English, when I wrote an essay entitled, "I Am Complex".  I got an "A".  It wasn't due to my writing skills, it was because what I said was true, not only of me, but of all human beings.

We are very complex.  All the people I love in this world, and there are many, are very complex. I see them as beautiful, intricate beings that I have been blessed to know.  They are not all good, or all bad.  They are not always nice, they are not always cruel.  They are not always loving, and they are not always mean. They are not always beautiful, and they are not always ugly.  They are not always wise, and they are not always ignorant.

They are always perfect.  Perfect as they are.

I feel so blessed, that even in the darkest hours, there is something inside which allows me to see the best in not only myself (believe me, I can be dark), but in all those I love.

Life is not simple, it is complex.

For some reason I knew this at 15.  It was as true then as it is now.

Let us embrace the weird complexity that is US.

No comments: