I have said before that I am neither a Republican, nor a Democrat. If you must label me, think of me as an Independent Libertarian.
That said, since a Libertarian is not going to become President any time soon, if I want to vote in Presidential elections, I usually settle for which candidate I think will do the least damage to our country. (First, do no harm!)
I am always hopeful, though, that the Republicans will get their act together and drop the whole Christian extremism thing (the mingling of their religion and politics). I am also hopeful that the Democrats will drop the whole Socialist thing.
But today, it is the Republicans I am going to pick on.
Can you not come up with one credible, intelligent, charismatic leader to run for President? If not, why not?
I am hopeful that someone will emerge, but first, let's look at the current field:
(Warning: not all of the following thoughts will be complete sentences, but I am not running for President, so that is acceptable.)
Sarah Palin: I can't stand to listen to her whiny voice for more than 5 min, even if the occasional witty attack seeps through those lips.
Donald Trump: Great businessman. Perhaps effective on a pragmatic level. Would cause Islamic extremists to pee their robes (a plus), but an egomaniac nonetheless. He just doesn't seem like a very nice guy. I would like to see him bald, Daddy Warbucks style. That alone may win him the election.
Mitt Romney: Pro-Life conversion annoying, great hair though! Sounds like Mass. health reform is going well. Looks like used car salesman-definite minus. Is against stem cell research-another clue that religion has taken over his thinking. Separation of church and state is way too important to elect this man.
Mike Huckabee: Couldn't keep his religious views out of politics if it was personally requested by God. Supports civil rights, but opposes Gay marriage-can the two co-exist? Somewhat rational on the economy, but really likes Wal-Mart (says something about his style).
Rudy Guiliani: Cancer survivor, staunch anti-Islamist, pro-choice, in favor of extending same benefits to same-sex unions as traditional marriage (although doesn't go so far as to support Gay marriage, a mistake, in my opinion.) Is for reducing deficit through drastic spending cuts. Has survived very public shame in marriage failures, humbling him, humility is a necessary trait for any great leader. For free-markets. Handed the check back to Prince from Saudi Arabia after 9/11.
Run Rudy Run!
Newt Gingrich: Very smart guy, but owes Clinton an apology. You can't apply your moral code to everyone but yourself. A staunch supporter of "The Defense of Marriage" act, (anti-Gay marriage), who doesn't know which of his marriages to defend. His moral hypocrisy is really too bad, because on issues of foreign policy and economy, Newt is somewhat brilliant.
Michelle Bachman: Seriously?
Tim Pawlenty: Boring with a capital "B"...too religious. Can't win.
I am getting tired, but I guess Rudy is my choice. Wait, he's not running, nor would the Republican establishment ever support him.
John Stewart is always so funny:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment