Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is There A God? Hawking Says No.

"I am that I am." - Jesus. "Before Abraham was, I am." - Jesus

When Jesus speaks of his Father, we automatically assume there must me a Creator.

But is there one Creator? Or many?

Are we all Creators?

Is it possible that the above words of Jesus pointed to the truth that time and existence are relative, that existence just exists, and it is the acceptance of this truth that brings peace to the human mind? I mean, clearly Jesus was not born before Abraham. Perhaps existence, on the energetic level is eternal.

Einstein pointed out that matter can neither be destroyed or created, it can only change form. If this is true, than who could have "created" the matter of the Universe. Perhaps it just is.

Hawking says the Universe was created spontaneously, and has no creator.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704206804575467921609024244.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories

He is basically saying the Universe just exists. Actually, many do. It is that it is, and that is enough.

Is it the Human mind that requires a concept of time? A beginning and and end? A creator and destroyers?

Quite possibly.

I mean really, everything is relative, including time and space.

Is the whole idea of God a creation of the human mind? A desperate attempt to bring meaning to existence, beyond that which exists in the present moment?

My God is the energy of Love. My God is the Life Force that dances in the winds of the Universe. I have no need to know who or what created that energy. I know it is eternal, and peace lies inside it.

May the Force be with you.

5 comments:

JohnG said...

Belief in God depends on what you define God to be. To the evolutionists I suggest God is the required force of randomness. They say billions of years of small random changes resulted in all of this. So why can't God be the force behind the random changes? Maybe they are not so random...

As a scientist myself, I understand the concept of Entropy -the 2nd law of thermodynamics dealing with randomness. In thermodynamics I learned that the entropy of the universe is always increasing. Things tend to go to a state of disorder. Things tend to spread out and get mixed up. It takes alot of energy to keep things in order. Ask anyone with kids!

The 2nd LAW of thermodynamics does not support the THEORY of evolution very well. When I look at myself, I see something that is highly organized. It is not likely this would happen autonomously when the forces of nature prefer disorder.

Genetics has similarities to a computer program, as the DNA is sort of a set of parameters or instructions interpereted by who knows what. As a software engineer I know the anount of energry requred to come up with a working program. You cannot bang on a keyboard to write your instructions. The program will not execute. You will not ever bang on the keyboard and get Microsoft Word. There is too much organization there.

No truely random process banged on the keyboard of the DNA and came up with people.

And with a computer, you need a compiler or interperetor and a processor to execute the paramters or instructions. With genetics, what is the analogy to that mechanism and who or what random process is responsible for its existence?

Econmom said...

I see your point, but doesn't the argument become sort of circular, like the chicken and the egg? Who created the Creator?

The genetic analogy would be God as programmer, I suppose. But isn't God just a name we humans assign to the Creator of the Universe?

It seems Hawking is challenging the whole idea that there must be a creator and saying the Universe just "is".

Boggles my mind, but interesting to contemplate because humans do so many things to "please" or obey God. Some turn out to be good in the sense that they nurture and support life, but others are completely ridiculous and detrimental to Humankind.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments!

JohnG said...

Sorry, I tend to say too much and people miss my point. My point is that evolution is not supported by the 2nd law of thermodynamics - entropy. Disorder is the preferred state of the universe.

Didn't Hawking smash God about 30 years ago, what's new?

Econmom said...

Ok, so here is where it might become apparent that my IQ is lower than yours...even though my ability to communicate ideas may be better. But, I am sure you can appreciate the humor and here is my best shot: (how the hell did I get into honors physics?)

I have no idea what the 2nd law of thermodynamics is (if I wasn't too tired I'd Google it) But, if disorder is the preferred state of the Universe, doesn't that fly in the face of Intelligent Design? Do you tend to agree with Hawking? (Sorry, I need plain folk speak here.)

Econmom said...

Again John, I am so happy to have someone as intelligent and literate as you commenting with REAL ideas and debate - don't take any jibes personally.