"I could see peace instead of this." But I don't.
If anything was capable of disturbing my inner peace, it is Ray Suarez's take on Copenhagen and the Global Climate Conference.
http://en.cop15.dk/
I am hoping the full video broadcast will be available tomorrow, and I will post it then.
After listening to the story of a poor Ugandan female farmer, whose life has been ruined by the evil western Capitalist powers, who have cause it to rain too much sometimes, and be dry too much sometimes, I feel like throwing up.
Guess what? She believes she deserves financial compensation from the industrialized world because she had a bad crop this year. Did you ever read the Little House On The Prairie books? Did Charles Ingalls blame someone when he had a bad crop one year? Did he curse the Africans because the frost came early one year and his family almost frickin' starved to death? Did he blame them because a volcano wiped out the sun one year and because of a lack of Vitamin D his newborn son died of scarlet fever? NO - I don't think so!
Do you think that Ugandan farmer really understands this, or do you think she has been brainwashed by a bunch of left wing radicals from the Western countries she demands compensation from? Now, I don't deny the woman deserves compassion, and if I was rich I may send her a check just because I feel sorry for her for being born a woman in Uganda. But really people, let's call these envirofascists what they are. (Is that a word? Well, if it wasn't, now it is.)
So, all you American consumers should feel guilty tonight for screwing over the poor farmers all around the world. It is all your fault. I bet you didn't know this, but HUMANS are NOT PART OF NATURE! Our impact (oh, only some of us - the industrialized world) on the planet is deplorable. Raising living standards for a huge percentage of the population does not count. WE ARE BAD! And we must pay the poor farmers of Africa and India to repent. PAY THEM CASH!
If there was a giant volcanic explosion tomorrow that blocked the sun's rays for a hundred years, you would thank your lucky stars for Global Warming!
Are we really arrogant and simple minded enough to think that we control Mother Nature at all?
Humans are evolutionary animals just like the rest of the creatures on this planet. So are our industrial accomplishments. Does this sometimes damage the Earth? Yes. Can we be better inhabitants of the Earth and have more humility and respect towards nature? Absolutely.
But comets, asteroids, and sunspots, could do more damage than man in a millisecond. We have just as much right to pursue survival as any other species.
To think we owe compensation to farmers in Uganda for producing too many greenhouse gases is a total, unintelligent, envirofacist load of crap.
Man is part of Earth. Man is part of evolution. Think bigger people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I can't quite tell from your post if you admit that global warming is a reality or if you deny it altogether??
The Earth is warming. I'll give you that. I'll assume you have all the scientific data to back you up and are not just saying that because someone told you it was warming. Given the scientific fact that the Earth is warming, the next question becomes, why? I do not believe it is necessarily caused by man. But I'll even give you that, let's just say that Earth is warming, and the warming is caused by human industrial economic activity. Can you know for sue that this will continue? Can you know for sure that there won't be some massive cooling driven by different forces all together in the near future? Is it ok to take away the rights of some people because you think you may know what is going on with a complex organism like Earth? Does Global Warming justify forceful redistribution of wealth? These are the questions to ponder.
Now, should man on both the collective and individual level try to do the best thing for the planet whenever possible? YES! Of course. But beware of international institutions turning this into a global polital cause that will help them gain power and impose their will on others.
It just seems to me that the more gasses that are released into the atmosphere that are known to trap heat, the higher the global temperature will go. I cannot say that this will continue forever but the current data suggest a strong relationship between emissions caused by man and the increase in temperature. I agree that there are some fanatics that tend to hurt the credibility of the science in this case but they should not be picked out as the norm or the standard by which to judge those who think that climate change is a very serious concern. And as for the redistribution of wealth, it is only logical that those who have done most of the damage should be responsible for most of the burden when it comes to the mitigation of that damage.
You are correct that there are greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere. However, drawing the link between that and the suffering of third world countries is a much harder case to make. Demanding compensation for damages when it is unclear who exactly is reponsible for that damage is a slippery slope. I also will give you that most environmentalists are just normal, Earth loving people. The "envriofacists" or perhaps more aptly the "envirosocialists" are the minority. Radical minorities can do much damage to world peace when they use government organizations to impose their will (Taliban). Look, I love the Earth, I am just saying I really wish people would see the bigger picture and not turn the whole issue into a political ideology used to extract wealth from the capitalist nations of the world. If you think that is moral, then we disagree fundamentally about the morality of extracting wealth from others using the government.
Remember also that "certain data" showed that CDO's had very low risk of default.
I guess I would just like to see the United States government take some responsibility for being the top dog when it comes to emissions for decades now. I agree that it is not right to exploit the situation but you always have some "free riders" but the overall principle of accountability and responsibility remains. Now I will admit it is harder or nearly impossible to pinpoint the exact results of the pollution of this country but it is not unreasonable to attempt to put a monetary value on the whole thing. At least we have an administration that is attempting to partner with other industrialized nations in order to do that.
I think there is a fundamental philisophical disagreement here about the nature of wealth and the morality of wealth creation and redistribution. However, I must say it is great to have well resaoned insightful disagreement. Not all people are intelligent and centered enough to carry on such a discussion. I truly appreciate your comments and the debate.
I think you are correct about the underlying disagreements, and I must agree that an intelligent conversation about a relevant topic is refreshing and much appreciated.
Amen-keep em' comin' !
Post a Comment