Monday, October 12, 2009

Parenting With H1N1

Alright, I just have not had it in me to talk about much about the market - obviously I am getting killed. Art Cashin and I had coffee the other day and shared our misery. (Just Kidding)




No really, while I am waiting for the market to correct I thought I'd talk a bit about parenting.

Why do people have so many issues around sick kids? Both of my kids had H1N1 this month. It was NOT fun. It was anxiety producing and terrible. Just so you know, the last stage of the virus for many children is hives that cover their entire face, torso and arms. Apparently, many children are having an immune reaction to the virus even after they are feeling better.

Zyrtec works. After two full weeks at home, both of my children should be happily back at school tomorrow, where they got it in the first place. How comforting.

The really interesting thing is I have picked up on some serious societal stigma for admitting that my kids had H1N1. (and not just pumping them full of cold medicine and ibuprofen and sending them off to infect everyone else)

Here are some of the fearful comments I had to endure:

"Really? Are you sure that was it?"
"I heard it's not that bad."
"Wow, my kids have never been sick for that long."
"Are they healthy eaters?"
"Don't they take vitamins?"
"Wow, your kid is always sick!"

My dear friends and family responded in a much more loving way:

"How can we help?"
"Are they ok?"
"Are you ok?"
"Do what you need to do."
"Don't send them back until they are ready."

I thank you loving people!

It really does illustrate the contrast between fear and love. Fear attacks, Love supports.


I had the guts to ignore the conventional advice out there and actually brought my son in to get tested.

Please, do NOT pretend like this is no big deal. I really wanted to, but the illness hit my family very hard, and showed me otherwise.

Telling your kids to wash their hands all day won't work. They will just get coughed on at school.

So please people, KEEP YOUR KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL IF THEY ARE SICK!!!!!!!!

I know it is hard. JUST DO IT!

And if you decide not to, don't give the rest of us crap for doing the right thing!

No comments: