I have just returned from a beautiful trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is one f my favorite place in the world. (Even though I have not seen the world I know it is.)
However, for some strange reason it triggered an impulse to contemplate the difference between doing and being.
See, spirituality has become a great force in my life over the last eight years or so, and now I realize that it always has been. However, I see a dichotomy, or perhaps, better put, a duality, that has arisen in my consciousness (or perhaps just in my awareness) between doing and being.
This duality seems to arise as a conflict between being in this world, but not being of it at the same time.
Ironically, the same force that keeps me grounded, centered, loving, and compassionate, seems to conflict with the material demand of our world.
I know in truth there is no conflict, but sometimes my thoughts and emotions betray me and I feel it acutely.
I get lost in doing (applying for jobs, cleaning the garage, making dinner, vacumming, cleaning up after a very old and wonderful dog) and I forget about being, which I define as the presence that arises and allows me to see all that is at it is and love all those around me unconditionally.
Then pain arises as I feel the lack of love acutely and become a "lost soul" once again.
Ultimately I reconnect with being and am able to "do" effortlessly, but the journey and the ups and downs can be excruciating.
I know that "I am". I know that whatever I do cannot come even close to rivaling that. Even so, I intend to do great things while here on Earth.
Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment